Juicy shrimp, grilled veggies, sweet pineapple, and creamy coconut rice with a quick homemade healthy teriyaki sauce makes the teriyaki shrimp bowl one of my all-time favourite meal prep meals.
The best part—It can be made on a sheet pan in a flash.
This dish is inspired by the super healthy Japanese diet. While I can’t promise it will help you live longer, it will help you live happier!
PIN me to your Healthy Recipes board!
If you’ve never made your own teriyaki sauce, it might seem daunting. There’s so much deep umami flavour, how could that be replicated at home?
Teriyaki sauce is typically made of simple ingredients: soy sauce, sake or mirin, sugar, and ginger.
To make teriyaki sauce at home (and a little healthier) these ingredients can be tweaked. Most people don’t have sake, so use mirin, or just leave it out altogether. Use honey in place of sugar or a non-caloric sweetener of choice.
Here is a simple and healthy teriyaki sauce from scratch I’ve shared in the past that includes garlic. Feel free to use garlic powder, or leave the garlic out if you’d like.
Teriyaki sauce is a sweet and sour sauce with a salty, punch. It’s basically all of the best flavours in one, which is why it is so satisfying. Teriyaki sauce is usually thick and sticky, like warmed up honey.
It’s popular with kids and makes a perfect sauce for lighter proteins like chicken, fish, and shrimp. Teriyaki sauce compliments veggies of all kinds, particularly broccoli, zucchini, peppers, carrots, and onion.
I love making a big batch to use on a variety of meal prep veggies.
To make the teriyaki sauce, combine the ingredients in small pot over medium and whisk constantly until thickened to coat a spoon. Turn off the heat and do not over cook or else it will become very tacky and gloopy. It only needs about 8-10 minutes.
For the Sheet Pan Teriyaki Shrimp Bowl
- Coat 1.5lb of shrimp with 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce.
- Drizzle sliced veggies with oil.
- Roast whatever veggies you’d like to use along with your shrimp at 450F (230C) for 10 minutes. Zucchini, bell pepper, and pineapple make a delicious sweet and savory combination.
- Roast for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile make your rice.
- When 10 minutes is up, set oven to broil/grill and grill shrimp and veggies for 2-4 minutes, watching closely.
For the Coconut Rice
- Rinse 2 cups of rice (I used jasmine).
- Place 1 can of coconut milk, 2 cups of water, and 2 Tbsp brown sugar (or sucanat, muscavado, etc.) and rice in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover.
- Set heat to low, steam rice for 15 minutes.
- When time is up, remove from heat, keep lid on for 5-10 minutes, then fluff rice with a fork.
To make your teriyaki shrimp bowl
Add rice to bottom of a bowl or meal prep container. Top with veggies, pineapple, and shrimp. Save leftover teriyaki sauce for serving, or drizzle on top. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
These bowls will keep in the fridge for a few days.
Join the FREE resource library for this Fit Food Costco Shopping List plus more:
- Habit trackers, workout planners, calendars
- Printable motivational posters
- Habit building worksheets
- Free workouts
- 30 Day Challenge printable calendar
- Lots more!
Teriyaki Shrimp and Coconut Rice Bowl with Grilled Pineapple
- 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 lb shrimp peeled
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups of pineapple wedges about 1/2 a pineapple, cored
- 2 medium zucchini sliced into sticks
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups jasmine rice rinsed
- Set oven to 450F and line a large sheet pan with parchment or foil.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, add the cornstarch and water mixture.
- Add grated ginger and garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar or honey, and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a simmer and turn down to low to thicken. Set aside.
- Slice peppers and zucchini and place on the pan along with pineapple wedges.
- Add shrimp and coat with 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce.
- Drizzle veggies with oil and place sheet pan in the oven.
- Set timer for 10 minutes.
- Place coconut milk, water, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add rinsed rice and cover, set heat to low and steam for 15 minutes.
- When time is up for the rice, turn off the heat and keep the lid on for 5-10 minutes, fluff with a fork.
- When time is up for the shrimp and veggies, set oven to broil/grill and grill for 2-4 minutes.
- To serve, add rice to bottom of dish, then top with veggies, pineapple, and shrimp. Save leftover teriyaki sauce for serving.
Try these other tasty and healthy meal prep recipes:
Mini Meatloaves with Sheet Pan Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes
Creamy Mango Coconut Chicken with Cilantro Lime Rice and Avocado Salsa
Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken with Zucchini Noodles
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Maple Bourbon BBQ Chicken with Light Potato Salad and Asparagus