This mango chicken meal prep with fresh mango salsa and cilantro lime rice is a zesty, flavourful combo.
There’s something so refreshing and summery about mangoes. When you pair them with the citrusy tang of limes and the subtle heat of jalapenos, you’ve got a wicked good flavour explosion 🔥.
Chicken breasts, as I’ve stressed before, can be bland and dry. Not here.
Marinating the chicken in mango and coconut milk infuses lovely flavour and moisture into your chicken.
Plus, we never waste marinade in this house. It is cooked down into a beautiful, luscious sauce for topping the chicken at the end. Yum!
For more yummy chicken breast meal prep try these:
Maple Bourbon BBQ Chicken – Radical Strength
Mango Coconut Chili Chicken Salad – Radical Strength
Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken with Zucchini Noodles – Radical Strength
Israeli Chicken Shawarma – Bites and Pieces
Mango Coconut Marinade and Sauce
Raise your hand if you love easy! 🙋🏽♀️
For this marinade, all you need to do is blend up a chunked mango with a can of coconut milk! Naturally, I used my trusty Nutribullet.
Add some cayenne on top and you’re good to go.
Pop this bad boy in the fridge to marinate for an hour to overnight.
Feel free to use frozen, thawed mango here. I find amazing frozen mango at Costco and keep it stocked in my freezer pretty much all the time.
For this recipe, I took advantage of the amazing fresh mangoes at my local fruit and veg shop. Especially since I knew I wanted to make mango salsa to go with it.
The sweetness of the mango and creaminess of the coconut milk work perfectly with the heat from the cayenne pepper. Acids in the mango will keep the chicken breast moist and filled with flavour.
When the chicken is finished marinating, remove the chicken and save the marinade. Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes (perhaps less if your chicken breasts are on the small side) at 375* F or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165*F.
Meanwhile, cook down the marinade for about 10 minutes in a small pot to use for topping the chicken.
Make it a Meal
You can make this mango chicken on it’s own any night of the week and pair it with a variety of sides but I like to have it with my favourite cilantro lime rice and top it with some super flavourful fresh mango avocado salsa.
Cilantro lime rice is perfect for soaking up the lovely mango coconut sauce
To make enough for four meal preps, first rinse about a cup (200g) of long-grain white rice under cool water. Rinsing your rice is an important step to prevent it from clumping together and getting overly sticky due to access starch.
Next, add it to your pot with 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth. Water is fine here, but chicken broth really adds to the depth of flavour. Throw in a couple of bay leaves, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cover for 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and re-cover to allow the steam to soak up and continue to cook the rice.
Afterwards, remove the bay leaves and add in 1/2 cup of finely chopped cilantro (coriander), the juice of 1-2 limes and about a tsp of lime zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add a burst of flavour with fresh Mango Avocado Salsa
You’ll probably want to double or triple this so you have leftovers. It’s so good.
Chunk a mango and an avocado and roughly chop a red pepper and 1/3 cup of red onion. Finely dice a jalapeno and 1/3 cup of cilantro. Squeeze in the juice of a lime, sprinkle in some ground cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently to combine.
That’s it, you’ve got fresh salsa!
To make your Mango Chicken Meal Prep
After your chicken is baked, add it and your rice to the meal prep containers. Top your chicken with the creamy mango sauce.
Store the mango avocado salsa in a separate container and add to your meal prep after re-heating.
The whole thing can also be enjoyed cold or at room temperature if necessary.
Mango Chicken Meal Prep with Cilanatro Lime Rice and Mango Avocado Salsa
For the Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 mango chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Rice
- 1 cup long-grain white rice 200 g
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice 1-2 limes
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
For the Salsa
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- ½ cup red pepper diced
- 1 avocado pitted and cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken & Mango Sauce
- Add the coconut milk and mango to a blender or Nutribullet and purée until smooth and mixture into a baking dish.
- Add chicken breasts, sprinkle cayenne pepper on top.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for an hour to overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place marinade aside to turn into a sauce later
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste and bake in a baking dish for 30 minutes or until browned
- While the chicken is baking, add the remaining marinade to a small saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the Cilantro Lime Rice
- Rinse the rice in a sieve or fine colander for a few minutes with cool water
- In a medium saucepan, add the rice, bay leaves, and chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- After the rice reaches boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork, cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, squeeze in the lime juice, add lime zest, salt, and cilantro.
- Stir to combine.
For the Mango Avocado Salsa
- Combine the mango, avocado, red pepper, jalapeño, red onion, lime juice and cilantro.
- Mix well without mashing the delicate mango and avocado.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin.