Instant Pot broccoli is the easiest way to prep broccoli as a side dish for your dinner tonight or for meal prep tomorrow!
One of the main veggies for meal prep, broccoli is versatile, healthy, filling, and easy to prepare. If it is soggy and mushy, it is terrible.
To avoid this, I recommend using fresh broccoli instead of frozen. You can save time by buying the bags of florets (I get a large, very well priced bag at Costco).
Broccoli provides many health benefits such as vitamins C and K, and it is a good source of folate (folic acid — especially important for expectant mothers), as well as potassium and fiber (helps to keep you full and lower cholesterol!).
Not only that, but broccoli has a superpower — it helps to fight allergies and inflammation using kaempferol and isothiocyanates, which are phyto-nutrients.
An extra benefit is that Vitamin C builds collagen, which is fantastic for skin and bone health and can even ease joint pain and help build muscle.
Vitamin C is also an antioxidant which helps fight cancer causing free-radicals.
So your mama was right — you need to eat your broccoli if you want to grow big and strong!
Check out how to make many other veggies in the Instant Pot!
For another cruciferous veggie side dish, try this:
How to Make Steamed Instant Pot Broccoli
Steaming instant pot broccoli is the easiest way to cook broccoli for meal prep.
This versatile method can be spiced up after cooking by tossing in a sauce or seasoning mixture. You will likely need a steamer basket for this method.
All you need to do for Instant Pot broccoli is:
- Place steamer basket into Instant Pot
- Place broccoli into steamer basket and add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot
For frozen broccoli:
- set to manual, high pressure for 2-3 minutes for crisp but tender broccoli (4-5 minutes for more tender than crisp).
For fresh broccoli:
- set to manual, high pressure for 1 minute!
- When the Instant Pot beeps to let you know that it is finished, perform quick release and carefully (with oven gloves) remove steamer tray.
How to Season Steamed Broccoli For Meal Prep
The best part of making a large batch of instant pot broccoli is that it is super easy to season for different meals through out the week.
Two of my favourite ways is with Teriyaki Sauce and Garlic Sauce.
I make both of these from scratch at home but either can be store bought as well for even faster meal prep.
Broccoli with Garlic Sauce
A healthier version of garlic sauce can be made with greek yogurt. I do recommend keeping mayo in the recipe if you use nonfat yogurt because a bit of fat really adds flavour. But to each her own.
Blend the following ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust lemon, garlic and salt as desired.
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of mayo
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt, or to taste
Steamed Instant Pot Broccoli with Teriyaki Sauce
Mix the following ingredients over medium high heat, whisking contstantly for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool and store in the fridge or top broccoli, noodles, rice, and protein as desired.
I like to keep it separate in a small container and add it to my heated meal prep at lunch time. This is the same sauce I use to make my amazing Teriyaki Shrimp Bowls with Coconut Rice and Grilled Veggies and Pineapple.
If you want to make a full Instant Pot meal, try this with a Rotisserie Chicken in the Instant Pot, this Chicken Cacciatore with Spaghetti Squash, my Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash Bake, or any of the other Instant Pot Protein recipes.
Instant Pot Broccoli
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets or bag of florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup water
- Place steamer basket into Instant Pot
- Place broccoli into a steamer basket and add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot
- For frozen broccoli: set to manual, high pressure for 2-3 minutes for crisp but tender broccoli (4-5 minutes for more tender than crisp)
- For fresh broccoli: set to manual, high pressure for 1 minute!
- When IP beeps that it is finished, perform quick release and carefully (with oven gloves) remove steamer tray