Chicken meal prep can get bland and boring.
I’m here to tell you that there is NO need to eat boring systematically prepped food in order to look and feel good or to fuel your gym activities.
In fact, I don’t fully trust those people…. How do they not cave and binge on a bucket of ice cream?
Oh wait, they do. Immediately after their body building show.
No need for that here. You are in the right place for delicious, nutritious meals that are high protein and healthy!
You're Going to Love This Tomato Basil Chicken
Fresh, seasonal produce makes all the difference when it comes to flavour in your chicken meal prep.
Basil, plum tomatoes, garlic, fragrant basil, and zucchini, are some of the best ingredients available right now.
Cooking them all down together and infusing the flavour in a creamy, luscious sauce for your chicken and zucchini noodles creates a ton of fresh summer flavour that I know you’ll love.
Using quality ingredients is key here. I do recommend not using dried basil if possible because with so few ingredients and such an easy recipe, you want each component to shine through. Trust me, fresh basil is well worth it!
If you don’t like basil, oregano or thyme might work here. Again, I recommend using fresh. A high quality Italian seasoning mix might do the trick if you really cannot source fresh herbs.
For more tomato-basil goodness, check out this Healthy Veggie Egg Bake Casserole for your breakfast meal prep!
For another delicious chicken meal prep recipe check out this Maple Bourbon BBQ Chicken
Making Your Tomato Basil Chicken Meal Prep
Start by seasoning your chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
In a pan, warm a couple tablespoons of olive oil with 2 to 3 cloves of minced fresh garlic. This helps to infuse the garlic flavour into the oil.
Next, add your chicken breasts to the pan to sear over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside to rest.
Next, add 7 or 8 chopped vine tomatoes to the pan. Roma or plum tomatoes also work well.
If you cannot find good tomatoes, you could use a can of good diced tomatoes here. The fresh flavour will not be the same, but it will still be tasty!
Cook down the tomatoes for about 5 minutes and add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pan. Scrape any caramelized bits from bottom of the pan and simmer until reduced by half.
While sauce is reducing, spiralize some zucchini (or slice as desired) and add to a separate pan. Saute until tender.
Stir in 1 cup of chopped, loosely packed basil leaves (or about 10 leaves) to the pan. Stir until wilted and remove from heat.
Next, add 1/4 cup of milk of choice (dairy or coconut work well, so does cream or half and half), and 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. Slice chicken and return to pan.
Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken Meal Prep
Saute the zucchini noodles and layer them into your meal prep containers. Add pieces of sliced chicken breast, about half a breast per container, and top with the sauce.
Sprinkle on additional freshly diced tomatoes and chopped basil to serve.
This meal prep is also delicious topped with some fresh mozzarella cheese.
Healthy Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken Meal Prep
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 7-8 vine tomatoes or plum, roma
- 1 cup chopped basil, loosely packed (or 10 leaves)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice coconut, dairy, half and half, cream
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 5 medium zucchinis spiralized or cut to preference
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra diced tomato and fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper
- In a pan, warm a couple tablespoons of olive oil with 2 to 3 cloves of minced fresh garlic
- Add your chicken breasts to the pan to sear over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes per side
- Remove chicken and set aside to rest
- Add 7 or 8 chopped vine tomatoes to the pan and cook down for about 5 minutes
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pan. Scrape any caramelized bits from bottom of the pan and simmer until reduced by half
- While sauce is reducing, spiralize some zucchini (or slice as desired) and add to a separate pan. Saute until tender
- Add 1 cup of chopped, loosely packed basil leaves (or about 10 leaves) to the pan. Stir until wilted and remove from heat
- Add 1/4 cup of milk of choice (dairy or coconut work well, so does cream or half and half), and 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. Stir to combine.
- Slice chicken and return to pan
- Lay zucchini into meal prep containers, top with chicken and sauce. Garnish with extra tomatoes and basil if desired.