Below is a list of the best books on nutrition that are new or coming soon to read in 2020. Make this year your healthiest yet! Educate yo’ self 😉
Our Top Picks for the Best Books on Nutrition and Healthy Eating
- Best Anti Inflammatory: Anti Inflammatory Diet: Beginners Guide to Heal the Immune System and Reduce Inflammation Naturally with a Healthy Plant Based Diet “If you are a true beginner, buy this book. I found this book is super informative and useful! It explained what exactly the Anti-inflammatory diet for beginners is, what the benefits are and how to start a meal plan.”
- Best Intermittent Fasting: Feast, Fast, Repeat: The Comprehensive Guide to Delay, Don’t Deny Intermittent Fasting “Fast. Feast. Repeat. is not only a guide to moving toward an intermittent fasting lifestyle, but is a permission book: eating is every bit as important as fasting on Stephens’ plan!”
- Best Healthy Habits: Healthy Dividends: Investments in Nutrition, Movement, and Healthy Habits that Pay Off “This is a great little treasure of a book for anybody looking to make and keep lasting changes to their lifestyle. With all the information out there (sometimes contradictory), this book puts it all in perspective and synthesizes it for you.”
- Best for Binge Eating: Binge Eating: Make Peace with Food “Once you learn to control your urges, your binges, and your life, it’ll come naturally to you. You can live a normal life just like everybody else’s. Life doesn’t need to be miserable, and you can start walking your path towards freedom.”
- Best Intuitive Eating: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Non-Diet Program to Stop Overeating, End Your Battle with Food, and Find Freedom from Dieting Forever “The benefits of mindfulness are achieved when you no longer feel the tension of restriction, and instead, find a core connection with nature, food and the world in a more meaningful way.”
- Best for Independent Thinkers: Food Bullying: How to Avoid Buying BS “Food Bullying upends the way you think about food and gives you permission to make eating choices based on your own social, ethical, environmental, and health standards rather than brand, friend, or Facebook claims.”
- Best for Emotional Eaters: Emotional Eating Workbook: Practical Plans and Ideas to Improve Your Life, Stop Compulsive Eating, Overeating, Emotional Eating, and Change Your Relationship with Food “Outstanding workbook! Gives you some excellent tools in dealing with unhealthy food behaviors. The book requires much more than simply reading it. It has a lot of exercises that are outstanding in helping you understand your behaviors associated with food and how to change the negative ones.”
- Best in Diet Techniques: Carb Cycling: The Science and Practice of Mastering Your Metabolism “Losing weight will always be hard when we are encouraged to starve our bodies of certain things and even more so when we don’t understand WHY we are being told to do it.
Carb Cycling is a different approach that will ensure that your weight loss plan goes exactly as you want it to, giving you the healthy and toned body you always dreamed of.”
- Best in Meal Prep: Meal Prep Plan: The Ultimate Guide to Saving Time, Losing Weight, and Improving Your Life by Meal Prepping “This is a great meal prep cookbook. I own a few meal prep cookbooks and this is by far the best one. It has meal plans for 6 weeks that included; the shopping lists, a step by step of how and when to cook everything, the recipes. And at the end it has a bunch of recipes so you can put together your own meal plan. It really teaches you everything you need to know and helps to take some of the stress off of meal prepping.”
- Best Back to Basics: Simply Real Eating: Everyday Recipes and Rituals for a Healthy Life Made Simple “This is more than a cookbook―Sarah simplifies the steps of eating well and taking care of yourself. There is so much noise telling us what is ‘healthy,’ and I am grateful that Sarah boils it down and gives us all the practical steps in this book. It is a thoughtful and beautiful reference for both people who are comfortable in the kitchen and those ready to learn.”
- Best for Kids: Tips and Tricks To Become A Kid Food Explorer “This is a wonderful book for children to learn, practice and have fun. Children are eager to try and cook their own food”
- Best in New Research: Autophagy: The Complete Guide to Start Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting —Lose Weight and Understand the Metabolic Autophagy to Activate the Anti-Aging Process and Reduce Inflammations “As humans advance in age, the cells are subjected to wear and tear. Some of them lose their effectiveness because of constant use. This manifests as signs of age-related diseases. The good news is that you can take practical steps to get rid of worn-out cells.”
Our Top Nutrition Book Picks
Best Anti Inflammatory Nutrition Book Anti Inflammatory Diet: Beginners Guide to Heal the Immune System and Reduce Inflammation Naturally with a Healthy Plant Based Diet
Inflammation is a broad medical issue that affects a lot of people’s health.
In basic terms, inflammation is the body’s immune system response to something that is irritating it.
This is a protective, healing response, but when it happens in response to every day experiences, it can cause disease and general feelings of being unwell.
- feeling ill
- skin issues like rashes, psoriasis and eczema
- muscle aches and pain
- gut health issues like irritable bowel and ulcerative colitis
Anti Inflammatory Diet Beginners Guide is the best nutrition book for beginners to learn all about the inflammatory response, how to combat it through diet, and how to feel more energized and healthy.
Best Intermittent Fasting Nutrition Book Feast, Fast, Repeat: The Comprehensive Guide to Delay, Don’t Deny Intermittent Fasting
I am personally not typically a fan of tricks like intermittent fasting.
Any type of diet that makes you change the way you live and causes you to have to disrupt your life to maintain it is not sustainable to me.
However, I am also a believer in “if it works for you and you can sustain it, then it is a diet that works”.
Many people love the ease of intermittent fasting because when it is time to eat, they don’t have to restrict or watch what they are eating as closely all day long.
While I still believe that there are easier and more natural ways to eat, intermittent fasting techniques that encourage balance and positive relationships with food are the best side of IF.
In the nutrition book Feast, Fast, Repeat, Gin Stephens helps people learn how to make intermittent fasting a forever lifestyle where eating is just as important as fasting.
She covers the science, diet, and mental side of intermittent fasting in a comprehensive guide that is broken down into manageable and actionable pieces.
The Best Nutrition Book for Healthy Habits Healthy Dividends: Investments in Nutrition, Movement, and Healthy Habits that Pay Off
This nutrition book is more my style.
Learn the basics of investing in your health through steps you can take one-by-one and build upon to build a healthy lifestyle easily and sustainably.
Tricia Silverman pulls no punches. She calls out the fallacies and dangers behind popular fad diets like keto and Paleo. This is why I love this approach.
No fads. No restriction. No BS. Just simple habits and actions you can take to improve your health based on what we already know works.
Read about how to safely transition off the keto diet without all the nasty side effects.
Binge eating is the most common eating disorder.
The author, Simon Grant, is a recovered binge eater who helps walk you step by step through ending the binge cycle.
Simon addresses common misconceptions that prevent you from ending your bingeing behaviour.
The reviews speak for themselves. Several people who suffered for years with binge eating found help with this nutrition book.
- “I used to binge. I had no self-control when the disease took over and I had no way of stopping it. I was helpless, and it took me some time to recover my life and heal my relationship with food and with myself.“
- “This book puts it plainly and clearly. Very matter of fact straight talk from someone that has been there. The analogy of the PIG that is bullying finally hit a nerve with me. My whole life I beat myself up by my out of control eating and inability to stick to my eating plan. This book helped me see I did need to soothe something~ but it wasn’t my inner child. This book is worth every penny!”
- “This book is a great book. I know how to eat right, exercise properly but I get stressed and let my pig take over. I never understood and now I do.”
Intuitive eating is one of my favourite “trends” to come out of diet culture.
Intuitive eating is anti-diet culture. It is getting back to eating based on the natural signals our bodies are sending us about hunger, cravings, and fullness.
This can be difficult for people who have lost touch with what hunger and fullness feels like. Using a proper program is important to work through where you have been misled with repetitive dieting and falling off the wagon.
Learning how to get in tough with your natural signals is a skill that will last you a lifetime.
Positioning one food as superior to another lies at the heart of food bullying and marketing profits. Misleading marketing has made food an unnecessarily emotional topic where each choice is seemingly a moral statement or social movement.
This is such an important nutrition book if you want to be able to sift through the lies the industry is trying to sell you.
If you’ve been around this website at all you’ll know that I am not a fan of diet culture and how it manipulates people into believing the next big diet hype.
Keep your money in your pocket and learn to decipher fact from marketing fiction.
The Best Nutrition Book for Emotional Eating Emotional Eating Workbook: Practical Plans and Ideas to Improve Your Life, Stop Compulsive Eating, Overeating, Emotional Eating, and Change Your Relationship with Food
This healthy diet book is more than just a book. The best books on nutrition don’t just preach, but teach.
Emotional Eating is a comprehensive workbook that is meant to both teach and help you implement practices to combat emotional eating.
Just like binge eating, emotional eating is unrelated to physical hunger. It is a compulsive behaviour that requires effort to overcome.
The Emotional Eating workbook will help you do just that.
Here are some reviews that speak for themselves:
- “Happier than I’ve ever been. This book changed my relationship with food completely.“
- “As some who has struggled for years with an eating disorder, this book finally made me realize that diets don’t work and are, in fact, detrimental. I have been using the intuitive eating principles from this book for almost a year and no longer count calories or macros. I finally have food freedom!“
- “You will know it is working because you will have triggers on every page. Keep with it, this book will help you!“
- “I am a psychotherapist who helps people with eating disorders. I find this book very useful and require all my clients to get it. The first few introductory chapters are good for anyone who needs to understand their feelings better.“
The Best Healthy Diet Techniques Book Carb Cycling: The Science and Practice of Mastering Your Metabolism
Low carb diets are very popular for weight loss. However, they are known to be unsustainable.
Carbs can (and should) be a part of a healthy diet for most people. One strategy you can try if you love to eat carbs but also would like the benefit of losing water weight and increasing metabolism through manipulating carbs, this is one of the best books on nutrition to help you do that.
- The background and research into carb cycling
- Getting your metabolism right
- Listening to what your body is saying
- Implementing carb cycling
- The value of eating the right foods
- Creating a lifestyle through what you eat
- And lots more…
Read more about Low Carb Diets.
The Best Back to Basics Nutrition Book Simply Real Eating: Everyday Recipes and Rituals for a Healthy Life Made Simple
The best books on nutrition do not over complicate things. This is something Sarah Adler clearly knows well.
Simply Real Eating ignores the complex dieting strategies and fads and focuses on healthy recipes and mindset to simplify your diet and life.
The images alone in this book are a reason to buy it! Gorgeous settings and flat lays with delicious looking food that is also attainable to make at home.
The Best Healthy Diet Meal Prep Book: Meal Prep Plan: The Ultimate Guide to Saving Time, Losing Weight, and Improving Your Life by Meal Prepping
Clearly, I’m a huge fan of meal prep.
However, it isn’t always so easy to start doing. It’s not always easy to know how to do it efficiently and affordably.
This book helps you figure out how to begin meal prepping with time saving methods for weight loss and healthier diet.
- Everything you need to know about meal prep for the modern world
- Why you should care about prepping your meals and how to get started
- The Do’s and Don’ts of meal prepping to help you stay on track with your health goals
- Step-by-step instructions to help you become a meal prep expert in no time
- The ultimate guide to storing and reheating your prepped meals so they always taste fresh and amazing
- Over 40 mouthwatering meal prep recipes that will blow your taste buds to pieces
- …and tons more!
Make sure you come back here and try out some of my meal prep recipes!
This is one of the best nutrition books for kids because it actually teaches them about growing, making, and eating food from different cultures.
Instead of trying to teach kids about what “good” or “bad” foods are (please don’t!), teach them instead about how much joy real, healthy food can bring to your life.
“It covers a range of different food inspirations like; freezing popsicles, topping pizza, chopping ingredients, filling dumplings, blending smoothies, assembling salads and many more. Examples of the tools and tips that are included; recipes, ingredient lists, variations of foods, cooking processes and styles, knife selection and cutting technique, to name a few”.
Teaching kids to explore food instead of fear or control it is a massive step in the right direction towards preventing unhealthy relationships with food.
The Best Nutrition Science Book in New Research Autophagy: The Complete Guide to Start Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting —Lose Weight and Understand the Metabolic Autophagy to Activate the Anti-Aging Process and Reduce Inflammations
The ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting are part of the wave focused on autophagy.
It is the idea that our old worn out cells can be disposed of, helping the body function optimally.
For anyone interested in the reasearch being done on autophagy, this Complete Guide is one of the best books on nutrition that covers the topic from all angles.
The book covers the following:
- What is autophagy?
- Functions and variations of autophagy
- Practical steps to actuate autophagy via ketosis, fasting and exercise
- The best exercises to lose weight and build muscle
- Basics of water fasting and how to go about it
- A step-by-step guide to getting keto-adapted
- Foods that activate autophagy
- How to fast, what foods break your fast, and what to eat while fasting
- The importance of sleep while fasting
- Common mistakes that hinder autophagy
- Misconception about autophagy
The Best Books On Nutrition
Hopefully you’ve discovered a few books here to add to your wish list! Taking charge of your health starts with finding the best books on nutrition so that you can educate yourself to make healthy choices.
You’re worth it!