The Best DIY Bagel Chips and Easy Homemade Hummus
A crunchy, savory, healthy snack food for your day. Bagel chips seasoned with everything seasoning and an easy, authentic hummus that goes perfectly to dip with.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
For the Bagel Chips
- 4 bagels
- 2 tbsp oil mild tasting olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp of minced dehydrated onion
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds unless your bagels already had plenty!
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
For the Hummus
- 1 14 oz. can of chickpeas 348ml
- 1/4 to 3/4 cup of tahini to your taste. I use the upper range
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice one large juicy lemon
- 3-5 cloves of garlic some people prefer to use as little as one, it's up to you
- 1-2 tsp of kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp of cumin or to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for topping
- Za'atar, sumac, fresh parsley, smoked paprika for topping or blending as desired
- 1 cup of ice water on hand for blending
To make bagel chips:
Slice your bagels vertically into coins about 1/2 inch thick.
Place bagel slices on a baking sheet in a preheated 350-degree oven. Bake for 15 minutes and check for crispiness. You may have to return the bagel chips to the oven if your bagels were more moist than mine from the start.
Add 2 tbsp of oil to a bowl.
Toss baked bagel chips with the oil in the bowl and add half of the seasoning mixture. Mix well to coat. Add remaining oil and seasonings and mix once more to combine.
To Make Hummus
Add drained and rinsed chickpeas to your food processor or blender.
Add your tahini and lemon juice.
Blend until everything starts to get smooth and thick.
Add garlic, cumin, salt, and other desired seasonings, along with the olive oil.
Blend for 2 minutes.
Check for consistency and add ice water while the machine is running, a little at a time until you have reached your desired consistency (use as much or little as you need, go slowly).