Black bean brownies are like a godsend for people like me who get mad cravings for brownies every once in a while but also do not always want to have that sugary, buttery, carby temptation sitting there all day.
I mean, I work mostly from home and those brownies would be sitting in the back of my mind, teasing me all day.
With black bean brownies, you really don’t have to worry about that so much. They are high in fiber, so more filling than a regular brownie, plus they are much healthier so you don’t have to worry about eating them as much.
I am a huge proponent of just eating what you want in moderation, and that includes the typical fudgy brownie recipe but it’s always a great idea to have a healthy version on hand.
These black bean brownies are especially fantastic for adding to your kid’s lunch box. They’ll never know they are full of beans.
For another sweet treat try:
PIN me to your Healthy Desserts board!
How To Make Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
These brownies take only about 5 minutes to prep thanks to the use of a food processor or blender!
Just add your black beans to the food processor and blend until pasty, then add the rest of the wet ingredients:
- 1 15oz can of black beans
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp oil (coconut, grapeseed)
- 1 tsp of almond or vanilla extract
Pour batter into a greased 8×8 pan and add cherries. You can also sub for raspberries, walnuts, strawberries, or just leave them out.
Bake this beauty at 350* F for 30-40 minutes. They might come out a bit gooey, but that’s ok! You don’t want them to come out completely dry. They will be fudgy. Let cool a bit before cutting and serving.
Try pairing with a creamy Vietnamese Egg Coffee!
For a Fit Food Grocery Shopping List, see my Free Resource Library]
Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
- 1 15- oz 425g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp oil like grapeseed or coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp finely ground coffee
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pitted cherries I used frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease an 8x8 inch pan and/or line with parchment
- Puree black beans in food processor until a paste, add in eggs, oil, and vanilla, puree.
- In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, and coffee
- Mix into bean mixture
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter in pan and add cherries as desired
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until edges are cooked. A toothpick can come out a bit gooey, that is absolutely fine and the brownies will be fudgy and delicious!
- Cool before cutting