Ever heard of a dirty chai latte? It sounds more exciting than it is. But it’s still pretty darn exciting. The epitomy of a pick-me-up drink.
- Coffee? ✔Check
- Happy tummy? ✔Check
- Warm spicey flavour? ✔Check
- Easy on the pocket book? ✔Check
Making your own dirty chai latte at home with a store bought or diy chai spice mix is an economical and super healthy way to satisfy that latte craving at home.
Bonus points if you use kefir — a probiotic rich dairy beverage that is well tolerated by even lactose intolerant folks. Kefir is full of probiotics that you don’t get from regular yogurt, although the taste is similar.
Check out everything you need to know about kefir, plus how to make it in the article: How Kefir Benefits Your Health (plus how to make!)
How to Make DIY Chai Latte Spice Mix
Making your own chai spice mix is super easy. This mix is best for blended drinks, adding to your coffee grinds, flavouring overnight oats or baking into muffins and oat bars.
Just combine the following spices:
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 teaspoons ground ginger
How Long Do Spices Last?
In general, you can keep spices for a few years when sealed air tight and kept at room temperature.
- Ground cinnamon: 3-4 years
- Ground ginger: 3-4 years
- Ground allspice: 3-4 years
- Ground cardamom: 3-4 years
- Ground cloves: 3-4 years
- Whole nutmeg: 4 years
Dirty Chai Latte Recipe
Coffee is the dirty part of a dirty chai latte.
Normally, chai tea is blended with frothy milk to make a chai tea latte recipe. In this instance, we add a shot of coffee… because…. caffeine.
It’s much healthier and more tasty when you make it at home avoiding the high sugar syrups and artificial flavours.
For this chai latte recipe I used kefir for its added probiotic benefits and tangy flavour.
However, this chai latte recipe can be made with coconut milk, almond milk, or regular dairy milk if you like.
I didn’t froth my milk or heat it as I did not want to kill off any of the probiotics in the kefir. So this is sort of like and iced latte… without ice.
Heating up some coconut milk and frothing it also makes an excellent, decadent dirty chai latte.
Add Your Dirty Chai latte Spice Ingredients
- Start with 2 cups of milk of your choice
- add 2 ounces of cold coffee (espresso, cold brewed or leftover strong coffee)
- add 2 to 4 tablespoons of maple syrup (depending on milk chosen and preference)
- add 1 teaspoon of chai spice mix and blend.
- add 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla
- mix thoroughly and pour into 2 glasses. Enjoy
Dirty Chai Latte with Kefir
For the Chai Spice Mix
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 6 tsp ground ginger
For the Dirty Chai Latte
- 2 cup kefir, coconut milk, almond milk milk of choice
- 2 ounces strong coffee
- 2 to 4 tbsp maple syrup depending on milk and preference
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt optional
For Chai Spice Mix
- Blend all together and store in an airtight container
For Dirty Chai Latte
- In two cups of kefir or milk of choice add coffee and maple syrup
- Add in chai spice mix and blend thoroughly
- Add vanilla extract
- Serve in cups as is or over ice. Heat if wanting a hot latte.