Peanut butter oatmeal is a big favourite at my house.
It’s so good just to eat a bowl of warm oatmeal with a big dollop of peanut butter on top. Especially when I make it packed full of extra nutrition and protein (see this how-to).
My daughters love it when we add a few chocolate chips in as well. They get all melty and the girls swirl everything together.
It makes for messy faces but happy tummies.
My older son wanted me to make something a little more structured. He was intent that I should not only add chocolate chips, but top some baked oatmeal with a chocolate coating.
We made these peanut butter oatmeal breakfast bars together and as I added the batter to the baking dish, he said that sliced bananas would make it even better. I absolutely agreed.
One of my favourite guilty pleasures as a kid was peanut butter and banana sandwiches!
Check out this list for a ton of high protein breakfast recipes for meal prep
Or this Vegan Overnight Oats Roundup
And don’t forget to enjoy with a creamy cup of Vietnamese Egg Coffee!
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
This is a very easy, kid friendly recipe, so if you have some child labour take advantage of it 😈
It’s similar to a baked oatmeal, but with the edition of flour and eggs to make it more of a breakfast bar consistency. Almond flour works well here if you’d like to avoid wheat or gluten.
If you love baked oatmeal check out this Cherry Almond Baked Oatmeal
Mix together the following dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside:
- 2 cups rolled oats (check label if you need gluten free)
- 1/2 cup flour such as almond or regular all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Melt 1/4 cup of coconut oil, let come to lukewarm and beat in 4 eggs. Add 1/3 cup of maple syrup (or honey) and 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter plus 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not over mix.
Fold in 1/2 cup of dark or semi sweet chocolate chips.
Spread mixture into a parchment lined 9×13″ baking dish. Add one banana sliced into coins, if desired.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool completely or store in fridge overnight. Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Drizzle over top of squares. Store in fridge to harden or serve at your own risk of messy hands and faces.
Some other healthy snacks:
- Raspberry Instant Pot Apple Sauce
- Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
- Nacho Stovetop Popcorn
- Cinnamon Apple Chai Spice Muffins
- Cranberry Oatmeal Orange Muffins
- Red Velvet Beetroot Brownies
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Energy Shake
- Zesty Orange Banana Bread with Vanilla Citrus Glaze
- 45 Healthy Banana Bread Recipes
- Spiced Nectarine Blueberry Crumble
- 25 Quick + Easy 2 Ingredient Snacks
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
For the Bars
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour of choice almond works well
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter natural
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 banana sliced
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9x13" pan with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, from oats to salt. Set aside
- Melt the coconut oil by putting it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and let cool slightly
- Beat in the eggs
- Mix in the maple syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla
- Stir until combined
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Spread the mixture into the pan
- Add sliced banana on top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool. Meanwhile, melt the remaining chocolate chips and coconut oil together and pour over bars. Spread with a spatula or back of a spoon
- Place in the fridge for the chocolate to harden before cutting into bars
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days