Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash is a take on the super popular American-Italian dish of baked spaghetti noodles, ricotta or cottage cheese, mozzarella, and meat sauce.
It is carb and fat heavy but oh so delicious.
This version tames down the calories and carbohydrates while boosting nutritional content with vitamins, minerals, and fiber from spaghetti squash.
In fact, this Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash recipe contains 318 calories per generous serving, with 13 grams of fat, 16 grams of carbs, and 37 grams of protein!
Spaghetti squash is a star when it comes to flipping pasta recipes to healthier versions.
Unlike other pasta replacements such as zucchini noodles (like in my Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken), spaghetti squash is naturally noodle-like so no spiralizing is required.
If you like spaghetti squash, you’ll love my Chicken Cacciatore with Spaghetti Squash recipe that’s made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot all together, saving time on roasting the squash separately.
Spaghetti Squash Nutrition
Spaghetti squash is a hearty, nutty, winter vegetable that is related to pumpkins and zucchini.
It has become a popular choice for replacing pasta due to its high nutritional content and low calories, and carbs.
Each 155 gram cup of spaghetti squash contains only 42 calories and 10 grams of carbs with 2 grams of fiber.
The same amount of spaghetti noodles contains 200 calories and 40 grams of carbs.
Vitamins and minerals in spaghetti squash include:
- vitamin C
- vitamin A
- B vitamins
- tryptophan as well as other amino acids
How to Bake Spaghetti Squash
Baked spaghetti squash is easy to make and once it is baked, it easily shreds into spaghetti-noodle like strands with a fork.
I like to bake spaghetti squash by cutting it in half, scooping out the seeds and roasting on a baking sheet.
While it is possible to skip that step, and cook it whole, it takes longer. There are also ways to cook spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot and slow cooker.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- 1 cup water
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Put water in bottom of Instant Pot
- Place trivet inside
- Poke or slash holes all over the squash, place inside Instant Pot, lock lid
- Set on manual, high pressure for 12 minutes (or steam function for 20-25 minutes)
- Perform quick release when timer goes off
- Slice open, discard seeds and shred lengthwise with a fork
Read more about how to cook veggies in the Instant Pot.
Baked Spaghetti Squash in the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 425 F and cut your squash, removing loose bits and seeds
- Sprinkle some oil on the cut sides and lay face down on a baking sheet
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Let cool slightly and shred with forks
How to Make Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash
While your spaghetti squash is baking, make your meat sauce:
- Brown 1lb of ground beef, turkey, pork or a mixture
- Add a 798ml jar of tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1/4 teaspoon tyme, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper
Let simmer and mix the following:
- 1 500 gram container of ricotta or cottage cheese
- 30 grams each of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, grated, adding additional seasonings if desired (you will need 60 grams each total for this recipe, plus more Parmesan to serve, if desired)
When everything is ready:
- Add half of the beef sauce to the squash
- Layer with the cheese mixture
- Add the rest of the sauce and top with 30 grams each of the shredded cheeses
Place back in the oven for 10 minutes, or until browned. I like to blast it with the broiler for a couple of minutes to really toast the cheese…mmmm….🤤
Serve with Instant Pot Broccoli with Garlic Sauce for a complete meal!
If you love million dollar spaghetti squash you’ll love…
Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 798ml jar tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 500g container ricotta or cottage cheese
- 60 g mozzarella cheese, or white cheddar 2 ounces
- 60 g parmesan cheese, grated 2 ounces
- Fresh parsley and more parmesan for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut squash in half length-wise and remove seeds and loose bits.
- Sprinkle oil on squash halves and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Place squash face down on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a pan.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings, salt and pepper and let simmer.
- In a bowl, mix the ricotta or cottage cheese with half of each the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Add additional seasonings, if desired.
- When squash is finished baking and has cooled a bit, add 1/2 of the beef and tomato mixture.
- Layer with ricottca-cheese mixture.
- Add the rest of the sauce. Top with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Additionally, you can broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese further if you like that sort of thing!
- Top with fresh parsley and more parmesan cheese to serve.