This healthy asparagus mushroom swiss egg bake casserole is perfect for meal prep. Made with asparagus, spinach, mushrooms, swiss cheese, and lots of healthy protein from cottage cheese and eggs. This egg-bake breakfast casserole is so easy to make. It is low carb, high in protein, and super healthy!
Asparagus, mushrooms, and swiss cheese are a classic combination with eggs, especially in the spring.
This version ditches the unhealthy pastry crust and focuses on lots of veggies, protein, and flavour.
You can skip the swiss cheese here, or add your preferred cheese. Goat cheese or gruyere would be excellent, but so would regular mozzarella or cheddar.
Another optional add-in would be leftover ham from Easter!
This asparagus mushroom egg bake is high in protein with 29 grams of highly bioavailable protein, and low in carbs with only 7 grams (and 1.7 grams of fiber).
Don’t forget to PIN to your Healthy Breakfasts board!
The veggies in this egg bake—spinach, mushroom, and asparagus—need to be cooked down before baking.
Pre-cooking them will help eliminate water that can make the egg bake soggy. It’s also a good idea to drain your cottage cheese with a fine mesh strainer if it contains a lot of liquid.
After cooking down the veggies, there’s almost nothing else to it! Just layer them into your baking dish and spread the cottage cheese on top.
The cottage cheese in this recipe adds a ton of texture and protein. If you haven’t used cottage cheese in your egg bakes before, you’ll have to take a leap of faith.
Even if you aren’t a fan of cottage cheese, this addition works very well. Trust me!
Try these next!
Asparagus Mushroom Swiss Egg Bake
- 10 medium asparagus sliced
- 2 cups cottage cheese, 1% lightly packed
- 1½ 250ml cartons of liquid egg whites
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded swiss or mozzarella cheese if desired (can use light)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 8x10 inch casserole dish
- Drain cottage cheese in mine mesh strainer, if necessary
- Sautee asparagus and mushrooms, drain liquid and set aside
- Cook down baby spinach
- Add sauteed asparagus, mushrooms, and spinach to bottom of dish and top with cottage cheese
- Mix egg whites, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste
- Use a fork to mix everything around
- Sprinkle on cheese, if using
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown on edges and eggs are set